FACTS ABOUT GOOGLE
Thinking you’re a Google champ? But being just a google search savy is not enough. There’s a lot more to how much you know about it.
1.Co-founders Larry page and Sergey Brin originally named google ‘Backrub’. Thankfully it changed!
2.Google religiously rents goats to mow the lawns . Employees confirm that it soothens them to see goats outside the windows.
4. Google employees residing in the US get benefits after death too. Their spouse gets an allowance of half of their salary every year for almost a decade. Well, Google is dream afterall !
5. Recently some core Google services went down for about 5 minutes. Which led to a drop of about 40 % of worldwide internet traffic.
6. Brin and Page thought calling google as ‘what box’. But the idea was eventaully dropped as wet box sounded like some kind of ‘porn’.
7.Google pays Mozilla millions of dollars a year as firefox web browser uses Google as the default search provider.
8. Well did you know? Google encourages its employee to use 20% of their own projects. Google news, Orkut are such examples.
9. Presently 47,756 are working for Google and the new employees are called ‘NOGGLERS’.
10. Google’s annual income is greater than 50 billion dollars.
11. The first April Fool’s joke was in 2000 when google announced it’s mind reading capability for searches called ‘ MENTALPLEX’.
12. The first google doodle was an out-of-office message in 1998 when Brin and Page were heading to Navada to attend the burning man festival.
13. Actually the name ‘ Google’ was a misspelling.
The story goes on like this:
One story states that earlier the inventor itself misspelled the mathematical term “ Googol” as ‘ Google” and the spelling got stucked .
Another story states that a fellow student misspelled “Googol” when looking for an available name for the company.
14. The company’s unofficial motto is “ Don’t be evil”.
15. Google launched its first homepage in 1998 with an exclamation mark like that of “Yahoo!” after a year of registering its domain name “google.com”.
16. Yahoo! declined Google’s offer for infusion of cash, and later in 2002, Yahoo! wanted to buy it for $3 billion, but this time, Google refused it.
17. Google’s first tweet was “I’m Feeling Lucky” in the binary code, which is the two-symbol (0 and 1) data representation system used in computers.
19. 25. Google ranked #1 place to work for six consecutive years from 2012 to 2017 (as well as in 2007 and 2008), meaning eight times in 11 years on the Fortune’s Best Companies to Work For since 2007 up until 2017.
20. foo.bar is a secret hiring tool that Google have in order to recruit developers and programmers with superb coding skills. The tool presents itself as a game to its users, asking them to solve coding challenges of growing difficulty.